Journal (day 8): MacBook gets very warm overnight while closed & connected to power adapter
ProblemIt's been several days, and I am rightfully annoyed by the fact that everyday when I wake up and put my Mac into the backpack, it is WARM. (It gets warm doing very light works as well, but I'm gonna look into that another time.)
I'm using MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018) with Catalina 10.15 (19A583). I'll try to keep the "wake reason log" during this process, but they are so long so I just post a representative portion of it for every day.
Informative pagesHere is a list of informative articles and forums that have mentioned this (from most recent):
- Why is my MacBook warm when the lid is closed (in sleep mode)? | alvinalexander.com (last update: 2019-09-30)
- MacBook Pro 2018 Draining Battery when lid closed | MacRumors Forums (last update: 2019-08-06)
- 盒盖睡眠耗电异常，一晚耗电 40%左右 -51sudo (last update: 2019-07-26)
- MBpro 2018 - Battery drain completely in sleep mode：MacOS (last update: 2019-02-26)
- MacBook Pro 15 draining battery while sleeping. Wake reason: EC.ARPT (Maintenance).：applehelp (last update: 2019-02-14)
- Macbook Gets Hot with Lid Closed - sfbayhacker - Medium (last update: 2018-05-18)
- MacBook Pro runs HOT in sleep mode - Apple Community (last update: 2018-03-28)
- wifi - MacBook Pro continually wakes while in sleep mode - Ask Different (last update: 2017-10-13)
- Fix OSX battery draining on sleep due to wifi activity last update: 2016-09-26
- macos - iMac randomly wakes up from sleep - Ask Different (last update: 2016-04-19)
- Battery Drain When Lid Closed | MacRumors Forums (last update: 2016-03-24)
- mac 怎么不能休眠了 - V2EX (last update: 2016-02-08)
- Determine Why Your Mac Wakes Up From Sleep (last update: 2010-07-17)
Potensial solutions that I don't want to try yet
- Reset SMC
- Mac Sleep Settings for Performance and Battery Life:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 25
2019-11-04Wake reason log (these five lines repeat almost every minute for the whole night):
There seems to be several different reasons for this, but today I'm doing the basic: turning off the two toggles in power setting that were checked. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
2019-11-05I did so many things yesterday that I do not understand what worked. Today it's not warm anymore, but the waking history still looks annoying.
Today's wake reason log, pretty much nothing has changed.
So I consulted one of the reddit thread, and turned on two toggles in do not disturb settings. Let's see what happens tomorrow.
2019-11-06So I forgot to connect my mac to power adapter yesterday night. Today when I opened the lid, it still has around 70% power, which is good
Wake reason log (repeat less than before, but still a lot):
This thing is new, so here are the top Google results:
kernel: AppleACPIPlatform: EC.RTC (Alarm)
- Wake reason: EC.RTC (Alarm) Wakes my Mac … - Apple Community (last update: 2019-08-23)
- Wake reason: RTC (Alarm) - how to deactivate? | MacRumors Forums (last update: 2015-08-17)
- Fix yosemite rtc alarm wakeup issue • ISPIRE.ME (last update: 2014-12-22)
sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist ProgramArguments -array-add -DisableSleepProxyClient
Curious enough, I don't have the file
com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist. I did not delete it or anything, it's just not there. I don't have
com.apple.discoveryd.plisteither, which came with the older system? Need to do more research before actually doing anything about it.
Meanwhile, I used OnyX to clean up Spotlight indices among other things, as well as
sudo mdutil -a -i off(after this, mac automatically turned it back on for the time machine volume, which is a feature according to Google). Let's see what happens tomorrow.
2019-11-07Woke up and found that the mac is dead cold. Cool.
Wake reason log (repeat every hour, which is much better than before):
Well, up to this point, I want to look into each of the reasons.
CPU usage... corespeechd | MacRumors Forums
Tried the fix in this thread: corespeechd is sending a massive amount t… - Apple Community
Found this fix, may try tomorrow: CPU usage... corespeechd | MacRumors Forums
kernel: AppleTopCaseHIDEventDriver: Host (0x01)
2019-11-08~10Busy days, but I managed to keep all the logs at the beginning of each day, so here they are. Up to this point there are really nothing new. Dumb person as I am, I start to notice the pattern here.
The morning of 9th I woke up and found that the mac is warm again, but the rest two days were just cool and fine.
So I'm gonna do the trick: turn on and off Siri, and immediately restart the computer. If the log still looks like this tomorrow, well then we're going all the way to SMC land.